Daaru Salaam University
As one of the leading universities in Somalia, Daaru Salaam University places its position as beacon of academic excellence offering rationally thriving academic opportunities that foster progressive scholars. The University is dedicated to the advancement of higher education in the country and that of the horn of African region by instigating model, scholars in the region.
To extend access to higher education which conform to highest international standards
To be known as a pioneering university extending knowledge for the progression of society with an employment-oriented and knowledge -advancing learning experience facilitated by dedicated and professional staff.
- Achieve Academic excellence by ensuring that the pursuit of academic excellence in teaching, research and service to the public is well recognized and forms an important part of the academic and organizational life of the institution.
- Academic integrity by ensuring that all the academic outputs are produced in line with international standards of academic integrity.
- Academic freedom by upholding the spirit of free and critical thought and enquiry and fostering open exchange of ideas and knowledge amongst the staff and students.
- “Unrelenting pursuit of scholarly and strategic research, education, training and public service directed at the attainment of equitable and sustainable socio-economic development of Somalia and the wider horn of Africa.”
- Internationalization through participation in the regional and global world of scholars, by being receptive and responsive to issues within the international environment.
- Professional and ethical standards by upholding the highest professional standards and ethical behavior, and through openness, honesty, tolerance and respect for the individual in all disciplines.
- Social responsibility by promoting an awareness of, and providing leadership to respond to, the issues and problems facing society with a view to ultimately solving and alleviating them.
- Developmental responsibility by ensuring that most of the research conducted has an immediate or long-term impact.
- Teaching and learning by creating a holistic teaching and learning environment which is student centered, providing students with social, cultural and recreational opportunities that will facilitate the full realization of their potential for academic and personal growth.
- Institutional autonomy characterized by self-governing structures guided by the University’s Council and greater independence of action, while being responsive to societal and development needs or to what is prescribed by the relevant legal instruments.
- Public accountability by ensuring transparent decision making and open review, as well as the full participation of stakeholders in the development of the institution and in major policy shifts.
- Equity and social justice by ensuring equal opportunity and non-discrimination on the basis of personal, ethnic, gender or other social characteristics.
- Strategic planning culture by inculcating it at all levels in the University.
- Research relevance by ensuring that research addresses relevant national or societal problems.